If you're having problems getting compatible 29XL cartridges recognised by your printer there are a series of instructions in the box that we recommend following closely:
1) When the printer shows 'Change Cartridge' please press OK
2) Take the empty cartridge from the printer
3) Switch the printer off
4) Switch the printer back on
5) Remove the 'PULL' sticker from the new cartridge
6) If the cartridge is not recognised after installation, press OK
7) Do not uninstall the cartridge, just press 'Start' to initialise the printer
8) If the cartridge is still not recognised, please reinstall
9) A pop up window may indicate 'Non-Genuine Ink Detected' after installation. Click 'OK' and 'YES' to continue.
10) The printer may show 'You have not installed genuine Epson ink cartridges' when you click to print for the first time. Click 'Continue' to proceed past this message.
If you're still receiving error messages such as 'Ink Cartridge not Recognised' or 'Please Replace the Cartridge' after following the instructions above then it is likely that your printer has been affected by a new firmware update.
The Epson 29XL compatible cartridges (Cartridge numbers T2981 / T2982 / T2983 / T2984 / T2986 or T2991 / T2992 / T2993 / T2994 / T2996) are relatively new to the market and printers in this range have already been subject to recent firmware updates direct from Epson. The firmware updates are designed to disable the use of third party cartridges.
The best course of action is to make sure any option for 'allowing future printer updates' are unselected during the initial printer setup. If you have already installed your printer, it is probably best to go into your printer properties on your computer and deselect printer updates from there if possible, or directly on your printer menu screen.
Unfortunately, this is a market wide issue and compatibles from all retailers are likely to be affected. To continue printing under these circumstances, your printer will only accept genuine Epson cartridges until such a time that an updated compatible chip is made available. It may be more cost effective at this point to replace your printer with one not affected by regular firmware updates.
Contact our customer service team for further advice on recommended printer ranges if you're not sure how to proceed.
- Epson XP-235
- Epson XP-332
- Epson XP-335
- Epson XP-432
- Epson XP-435